• Croquet Anyone?

    The Hernando Historical Museum Association invited the Historic Hernando Preservation Society for a croquet match on the lawn of the May Stringer House, Sunday, August 28th. The event was to encourage growing friendships as well as provide a pastime of a by-gone era. It reflected days of summer afternoons sipping cold drinks in the shade, while rocking on the porch.

    The Stringer House was the perfect backdrop for this friendly game. The lawn stretched beyond the welcoming porches inviting participants to “come play.” Some wore period dress, adding to the enchantment of the evening. A light supper was spread across white linen cloths for the enjoyment of all. After the match, deserts were served as the sun began to set. Historic Hernando Preservation Society member, Debbie Charlow may have won the match, but everyone considered themselves a winner at this years event.

    Museum President Mary Sheldon was the event coordinator. She and her board provided everyone with hospitality and charm. They food they served was excellent, and the fellowship was enjoyed by all. Preservation Society President Don Moses and Museum President Mary Sheldon hope this event will be the beginning of many more. Anyone in the community is welcome to attend the Historic Hernando Preservation Society meetings at CIty Hall the first Thursday of each month beginning at 6:30 p.m. The Hernando Historical Museum Association is also extending invitations to the community to be a part of their organization as well. You can get more information about them by visiting http://www.hernandohistoricalmuseumassoc.com .

  • Headstone Returns “Home”

    When young men Hunter Mello and friend William Lorentsen stumbled upon a headstone in a vacant lot near their home, they had no idea what events would follow.  Since bones were also found near the headstone, local police were called to investigate the mystery. They determined the bones were not human, and suggested contacting someone to connect the headstone with its owners.

    The headstone reads "At Rest Mr. Jim Blount Died 1940".

    The headstone reads “At Rest Mr. Jim Blount Died 1940”

    Rich Lorentsen, grandfather of William, got involved to help the young men with their search. He researched the name on the headstone, and determined that the individual was buried at the Spring Hill Cemetery. He also researched the family, and found links to substantiate his information. Through a series of phone calls, Historic Hernando Preservation Society was contacted.  President Don Moses, Vice President David Letasi, and Secretary Jon Yeager worked together to investigate the matter further.

    Alice Walker from the Spring Hill Cemetery was contacted to connect the headstone with the family member. Ms. Walker, recognizing the name Jim Blount, immediately connected Historic Preservation with Margaret Blount Hart, 98 of Brooksville.  During the initial phone conversation between Don Moses and Margaret Hart, she confirmed that Jim Blount was indeed her father.

    Ruby Hart, cousin of Margaret, requested a meeting with William Hart, his wife Pat, and other individuals involved to return the stone home to the Spring Hill Cemetery.  The stone was carefully cleaned by Don, and carried by Rich Lorentsen with the help of his son. Grandson William and friend Hunter also assisted in the placement of the stone; the young men were very proud to be a part of the process.  Historic Hernando Preservation Society President, Don Moses, Vice President David Letasi, and their wives along with Secretary Jon Yeager were also present. A simple invocation was conducted after the placement. Margaret Blount Hart plans to visit the site with William and Pat Hart, as soon as she is able.

    The family that found the headstone in an empty lot and Historic Hernando Preservation Society President Don Moses at the Spring Hill Cemetery

    After years, the missing headstone of Jim Blount was reunited with the headstone of his precious wife Nora, who died in 1927. There they stand, under the shade of a water oak, together at last.  Welcome home.

    Certificate of Appreciation being given to the family who found the headstone at the May 5, 2016 HHPS Meeting.

  • Historic Sidewalk Dedication

    Contributed by: Mary Moses

    The day of January 9th may have been dreary and overcast, but the spirit of Historic Hernando Preservation Society was anything but. This day was the culmination of planning and coordinating that would save a piece of history.

    On September 22, 2014, Don Moses, on behalf of the Historic Hernando Preservation Society, presented the City of Brooksville with a proposal to save a portion of historic sidewalk from the corner of Howell and Olive Street. This particular piece of sidewalk bore the date “January 6, 1914.” This sidewalk was raised to accommodate carriages, and allowed ladies to disembark the carriage without showing their ankle. It was a piece of history that could have been lost during the 2015 demolition.

    Bill Geiger, Community Development Director of Brooksville, agreed to coordinate with Historic Hernando Preservation Society and the contractors to preserve this section of the sidewalk.

    The Hernando Historical Museum Association President, Ron Daniel, agreed to consider placement of the sidewalk at the 1885 Train Depot on Russell Street in Brooksville. The Museum Board agreed to the placement.

    Daniel Construction donated the gravel necessary to form a bed for the placement, and Accuform Signs of Brooksville donated the historical signage explaining the historical significance of the sidewalk. (See the signage text at: http://historichernandopreservationsociety.org/entries/local-history/howell-avenue-historical-sidewalks) At the dedication, President Don Moses shared the significance of historical preservation. Mary Sheldon of the Museum Association spoke of the importance of preserving artifacts. Bill Geiger of the City of Brooksville spoke of the significance of organizations working together to preserve history. All three shared in the ribbon cutting ceremony.

    Those in attendance enjoyed refreshments prepared by both the Historic Hernando Preservation Society and the Hernando Historical Museum Association.

    The ribbon cutting took place following the dedication of the walkway of the Countryman One Room Schoolhouse. This dedication marked the one year anniversary of the schoolhouse dedication. Gretchen Countryman and Mary Waller of the Hernando Historical Museum Association planned and executed this wonderful community event. Attendees were treated to hand embossed programs to take home from the event as souvenirs.